Regulations for Fishing in the Blue Marlin CupAugust 8, 2019
The Fishing Tournament Goes on Despite Dorian!September 5, 2019
You have to wait until May 2020 for the fun and excitement of the Bahamas Blue Marlin Fishing Tournament and the Bahamas Blue Marlin Open Fishing Tournament but there is always great fishing in Abaco and the other islands of the Bahamas!
Barracuda and Bonefish are plentiful in the waters off Abaco year-round. In the month of August, you can also expect to find the following fish:
- Blackfin Tuna
- Mangrove Snapper
- Blue Marlin
Some of Our Favorite Fish in Abaco
- Amberjack – According to The Online Fisherman which is a great resource for anglers. (If you’re looking for information about anything having to do with fishing, this website is a great place to start!), “Amberjacks are one of the top-fighting fish out there, and are excellent on the grill or smoker when prepared fresh, so whether you’re an avid sportsman or looking for dinner, the amberjack is a great fish to target.”
- Permit – If you’re looking for a challenge, this is another fish you should make note of. “The Permit is one of the most highly esteemed fish in the sea, known for both their excellent sport and delicate meat. They are also notoriously known as one of the most difficult fish to catch,” The Online Fisherman reports.
- Grouper – You probably are already know that grouper is a great eating fish, with its moist flaky texture and delicate flavor. You might not know, however, that grouper are strong, so be ready for a fight, if you go out after this popular fish.
- Mangrove Snapper – Another prized eating fishing, snapper have a mild flavor that lends itself to a number of popular recipes. As the name implies, these fish can usually be found in shallow waters surrounding mangroves. You can also have luck fishing for snapper right off the dock.
- And of course, our very favorite – the Blue Marlin!
It’s not too early to be thinking about our upcoming Blue Marlin fishing tournaments in May. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy the wide variety of fishing Abaco offers all year.