Bahamas Blue Marlin Cup
1. Conflicting tournaments: Any boat or participant entered in the Tournament shall not be entered in another May 4th tournament in which boats, anglers or participants compete with other boats, anglers or participants in more than one country, territory or like jurisdiction.
2. Entry fee: $4,000 per boat (each boat is referred to as “Participant”).
3. Optional Marlin Grander Challenge (MGC): $8,000 per boat.
4. Payment and Acceptance of Entry Fee: Payment can be made by standard commercial means either by mail, wire transfer or over the internet. After April 1st, 2020 only, internet credit card payments and cash (US currency only) will be accepted. Each Participant must receive a confirmation number prior to May 4 which shall confirm Participant’s entry into the Tournament. Registration will close May 2, 2019, 6:00 pm EST!
5. Revocation of Entry: BBMC reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to reject or revoke participation by any Participant for any reason. Revocation may be communicated or sent to Participant by phone, fax or email and is effective when sent by BBMC.
6. Withdrawal: Refunds will only be made for withdrawals if a written withdrawal and refund notice signed by the Participant is received by BBMC on or before 5:00 pm, May 2, 2019.
7. Qualifying fish: Blue Marlin must be 500 pounds or more. All fish below the qualifying weight or those fish caught that are smaller than the biggest reported catch shall be released.
8. REPORTING A KILL FISH: If you call in a release, then you may not kill your fish. Be sure of your intent before calling the catch into the "Committee". Once you call in a "release" it is recorded as a release and cannot be changed. "Deck-checking" is not permitted. Once you have decided you have a kill fish on the leader, please inform the "Committee" of your intent, and again when it is landed. The fish's measurements must be given to the Committee within 30 minutes of landing, and will be relayed to the fleet by the "Committee". It is highly recommended you continue to capture your kill on video, although not required.
9. Winning fish: The winning fish will be the heaviest blue marlin over 500 pounds caught in accordance with these Tournament Rules. If the winner is not entered in the Marlin Grander Challenge, there may be a separate Marlin Grander Challenge winner if a BBMC Participant catches a qualifying fish. In the case of a tie, the earliest confirmed time with BBMC of fish boated will be the winner.
10. IGFA and Government Rules: Subject to the express modifications set forth in these Tournament Rules, each Participant shall comply with the IGFA rules which can be viewed at www.igfa.org. under “ Fishing,” and with all applicable governmental rules and regulations. THE TOURNAMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW THE USE OF SPECIFIED FISHING LINE AS NOTED AT RULE NUMBER 17 BELOW. PARTICIPANTS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR REVIEWING THIS RULE AND COMPLYING WITH THE LINE SPECIFICATIONS. Participants are assumed to have all the necessary permits, licenses and /or registrations required by law. However, it is not the responsibility of BBMC to verify that all required permits, licenses and registrations are acquired by Participants or any applicable parties on their boats. Failure of a winning angler or team to have obtained any or all required permits, registrations or licenses shall not be grounds for a protest to be filed or for a fish to be disqualified.
11. Tournament Prize Money and Distribution: Prize money is awarded for first place only in this winner takes all tournament. Participant catching the largest blue marlin over 500 lbs. If the winner is not entered in the Big Blue Challenge, there may be a separate Marlin Grander Challenge winner if a BBMC Participant catches a qualifying fish. Prize money shall be equal to 80% of Tournament Entry Fees (the “ Prize Money”). The Prize Money will be distributed to the “ Payee” designated in writing by Participant. IN THE EVENT THAT A QUALIFYING FISH IS NOT CAUGHT, THE TOURNAMENT PRIZE MONEY (TOURNAMENT ENTRY FEES MINUS 20%) WILL BE ROLLED OVER AND ADDED TO THE PRIZE MONEY FOR THE 2021 TOURNAMENT. Reentry and payment of the 2021 Tournament Entry Fee will be required to participate in the 2021 BBMC Cup.
12. Marlin Grander Challenge (MGC): Entry in the Marlin Grander Challenge is optional and all Tournament Rules will apply. The winning BBMC Participant will be the BBMC Participant catching the largest blue marlin over 500 Lbs. The BBMC is a winner takes all event with prize money equal to the total BBMC entry fees minus 20% (the “BBMC Prize Money”). The BBMC Prize Money will be distributed to the “Payee” designated in writing by Participant. If there is no BBMC winner, 80% of the BBC entry fees will be refunded.
13. Fishing hours: Lines in the water at 7:30 am and out of the water at 4:30 pm in the angler’s local time zone. If a hookup is reported to BBMC headquarters prior to lines out at 4:30 pm and the angler reasonably believes that the marlin exceeds 500 lbs., the angler may continue fighting the marlin until it is boated, released or lost, and the midnight reporting deadline in rule 14 below shall be extended for a reasonable period of time, determined by BBMC in its sole discretion, to allow for the boating and weighing of the fish.
14. PERMITS & LICENSES All teams must possess a Bahamas Fishing Permit. The Tournament Stickers and makers will be located in your team package which you receive at registration. The Tournament Sticker is required to have adhered to your Bahamian fishing license.
15. Polygraph: BBMC reserves the right to require that the angler and/or any members of the crew pass a polygraph test, administered in the manner determined by BBMC, in order to collect the Prize Money. All tests or other verification costs incurred by BBMC shall be paid out of the Prize Money and/or BBMC Prize Money, as applicable.
16. Determination and Verification of Fish Size: Fish weight, as well as length (as measured from the tip of the lower jaw to the fork of the tail) and girth (the “Weight and Measurements”), shall be taken by a qualified weigh master approved by BBMC. At least two independent witnesses are required to witness the taking of the Weight and Measurements. The Weight and Measurements along with photos taken to verify the Weight and Measurements and the witnesses’ names and contact information shall be submitted to BBMC as soon as reasonably possible, but no later than midnight, May 4th, 2020. An observer approved by BBMC may be required for any Participant fishing in a remote area where there are no other Participants (the “ Remote Area”). BBMC shall have the right to refuse any entry if it believes that adequate verification procedures are not available in the Remote Area to modify verification compliances and procedures in its sole discretion.
17. Fishing Line Requirements: Any line (monofilament, Dacron or braided line) with a manufacturer’s stated breaking strength of 100 pounds or less; also accepted is any line labeled as “ IGFA-rated or Tournament-rated” with a breaking strength of 130 pounds or less. The backing of ANY SIZE is permitted as long as the top spot does not exceed 130lb. test IGFA or 100lb manufacturers stated. IGFA Top Shot & backing rule.
The catch shall be classified under the breaking strength of the first five meters of the line directly preceding the double line, leader or hook. This section must be comprised of a single, homogenous piece of line.”
18. Reporting: Participants shall use their best effort to report, as soon as possible, when a fish is hooked and then when any large blue marlin is boated and the estimated weight of the fish. BBMC may provide Tournament day activity on the Bahamas Blue Marlin Cup web site or through “Twitter”, Facebook or the tournament website as it occurs throughout the day, however, in no event shall BBMC have any liability for any such information that may later turn out to be inaccurate or false.
- CATCH & RELEASE VERIFICATION Identification Markers - each team will obtain a marker(s) prior to the day's fishing. This marker must be displayed during the fight and recorded. Failure to show the marker in your video proof will disqualify your catch, even if it is time-stamped.
- Release Verification Recordings - each team is required to show video evidence of billfish catch and release. This recording shall be time and date stamped in accordance with the "official time" as stated by the "Committee" prior to each day's fishing. Your video proof shall include: 1) registered angler fighting the fish 2) proper identification marker 3) sufficient footage of the fish in order to accurately determine the species 4) proper release evidence. All recordings submitted must be easily viewed by the Committee. It is the team's responsibility to have these items and the video cued up for immediate viewing. Failure to do so will delay the verification process. We highly recommend you have at least two recordings on different cameras, and underwater shots are the best way to accurately identify the species.
- Submission of Recordings - Verification recordings must be submitted to the Committee during the day of fishing (preferably after the catch). All recordings, images, sounds, etc. may become the property of the Tournament and may be used at any time.
19. Adverse Conditions: It is the responsibility of each Participant to decide in advance whether to fish on May 4th. Participants shall not be entitled to refunds for the Tournament or the Marlin Grander Challenge (MGC): unless Participant complies with the refund rules set forth above. Participant shall not be entitled to a refund after the refund deadline due to the inability of Participant to fish on May 4th for any reason, including, but not limited to bad weather, adverse sea conditions, other acts of God, mechanical or physical conditions or other similar conditions or events.
20. Dispute Resolution: In order for any dispute or protest to be considered it must be submitted to BBMC prior to 6:00 pm on May 5th, 2020. Any dispute shall be determined and resolved in the sole and absolute discretion of the BBMC rules committee and said determination and/or resolution shall be final and binding.
21. Indemnification: Anglers/crews/ boat owner and guests of Participant (collectively “Participating Parties”) enter the Tournament at their own risk, individually and collectively, and assume all risks which might occur. Participating Parties hereby release and forever discharge BBMC and their agents, employees, representatives, attorneys, shareholders, officers, directors, assigns, heirs and successors-in-interest from and against any and all claims, demands, obligations and causes of action, which Participating Parties may have to arise out of or in any way connected with their participation in the Tournament. Participant acknowledges and agrees to abide by the rules established by BBMC and any decisions or determinations made by BBMC regarding said rules. Participant shall be responsible for having each of the participating parties sign a copy of these rules prior to the tournament. In the event any claim is not covered by this indemnification provision, maximum damages payable to any Participant or any other party shall be limited to; (i) the amount of their entry fee; or (ii) $12,000, whichever is less.
22. Jurisdiction: In the event of any litigation arising out of the Tournament, participant hereby consents to the jurisdiction of the Bahamas courts
23. Consent to Rules and Failure to Abide by the Rules: Submission of your entry into the Tournament constitutes your acceptance of the Rules and your agreement to abide by the Rules. Failure to abide by the Rules shall constitute disqualification.